Kentucky Revised Statutes Title XVI. Motor Vehicles § 186.018. Driving history records of operators;  fees

(1)  For purposes of maintaining driving history records of operators of motor vehicles of the Commonwealth, the files of the Transportation Cabinet shall be used to ascertain the driving history record of each person who is licensed to operate a motor vehicle within the Commonwealth.  Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, the Transportation Cabinet shall destroy, and shall not maintain, records of moving traffic convictions that are more than five (5) years old.  Notwithstanding, for any licensee who now holds, who has applied for, or has ever held a Class A, B, or C license issued pursuant to KRS 281A.170 , the cabinet shall keep conviction records indefinitely.

(2)  The Transportation Cabinet shall not release information on the driving history record of a person under the age of twenty-one (21) whose operator license has been suspended pursuant to KRS 189A.010(6) .  The cabinet shall destroy, and shall not maintain, the record of the suspension of a person's operator's license if the license was suspended pursuant to KRS 189A.010(6) , within five (5) working days of the person's operator's license being reinstated.  This subsection shall not apply to a person who holds, or is required to hold, a commercial driver's license.

(3)  The cabinet shall charge a fee of three dollars ($3) for any driving history record, ten cents ($0.10) of which shall be deposited in a special account within the road fund to be used exclusively by the Transportation Cabinet for the state driver education program as designated in KRS 186.535 .

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard