Kansas Statutes Chapter 74. State Boards, Commissions and Authorities § 74-8719. Unlawful purchase of lottery ticket; penalty
Search Kansas Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) It is unlawful for any person to purchase a lottery ticket or share, or to share in the lottery winnings of a person, knowing that such person is:
(1) The executive director, a member of the commission or an employee of the Kansas lottery;
(2) an officer or employee of a vendor contracting with the Kansas lottery to supply gaming equipment or tickets to the Kansas lottery for use in the operation of any lottery conducted pursuant to this act;
(3) a spouse, child, stepchild, brother, stepbrother, sister, stepsister, parent or stepparent of a person described by subsection (a)(1) or (2); or
(4) a person who resides in the same household as any person described by subsection (a)(1) or (2).
(b)(1) Violation of subsection (a) is a class A nonperson misdemeanor upon conviction for a first offense.
(2) Violation of subsection (a) is a severity level 9, nonperson felony upon conviction for a second or subsequent offense.
(c) Notwithstanding subsection (a), the executive director may authorize in writing any employee of the Kansas lottery and any employee of a lottery vendor to purchase a lottery ticket for the purposes of verifying the proper operation of the state lottery with respect to security, systems operation and lottery retailer contract compliance. Any prize awarded as a result of such ticket purchase shall become the property of the Kansas lottery and be added to the prize pools of subsequent lottery games.
(d) Certain classes of persons who, because of the unique nature of the supplies or services they provide for use directly in the operation of a lottery pursuant to this act, may be prohibited, in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the commission, from participating in any lottery in which such supplies or services are used.
(e) Nothing in this section shall prohibit lottery retailers or their employees from purchasing lottery tickets and shares or from being paid a prize of a winning ticket or share.
(f) Each person who purchases a lottery ticket or share thereby agrees to be bound by rules and regulations adopted by the commission and by the provisions of this act.
(g) Any lottery ticket or share purchased by a person under 18 years of age shall be null and void and may not be claimed for a prize.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Kansas Statutes Chapter 74. State Boards, Commissions and Authorities § 74-8719. Unlawful purchase of lottery ticket; penalty - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ks/chapter-74-state-boards-commissions-and-authorities/ks-st-sect-74-8719.html
Was this helpful?