Kansas Statutes Chapter 66. Public Utilities § 66-1,128. Motor carrier liability insurance requirements;  self-insurance, when

(a) Except as provided in subsection (c) or pursuant to federal statutes, no certificate, permit, or license shall be issued by the commission to any public motor carrier of property, household goods or passengers or private motor carrier of property, until the applicant has filed with the commission a liability insurance policy approved by the commission, in such reasonable amounts as the commission determines by rules and regulations is necessary to adequately protect the interest of the public with due regard to the number of persons and amount of property involved.  Such amounts shall not be less than $100,000 for personal injury or death to any one person in any one accident, $300,000 for injury or death to two or more persons in any one accident and $50,000 for loss to property of others in any one accident, which liability insurance shall bind the obligors to pay compensation for injuries to persons and loss of or damage to property resulting from the negligent operation of such carrier.

(b) The liability insurance policy required to be filed by any resident applicant shall be in an insurance company or association authorized to transact business in this state.  Such policy of any nonresident applicant may be afforded by an insurance company not authorized to do business in this state which has given the commissioner of insurance of this state a power of attorney authorizing such commissioner to accept service on its behalf of notice or process in any action upon such policy.  Such company not authorized to do business in this state shall have on file with such commissioner a form as prescribed by subsection (b) of K.S.A. 40-3106 , and amendments thereto.  A certificate of any insurance company or association, in a form approved by the commission certifying that there is in effect the liability insurance required by this section, may be filed in lieu of the insurance policy itself.  In the event such certificate is filed, such company shall furnish to the commission upon its request a duplicate original of the insurance policy and all endorsements thereon.  No other or additional bonds or licenses than those prescribed in this act shall be required of any motor carrier by any city or town or other agency of the state.

(c) Any public motor carrier of property, household goods or passengers or private motor carrier of property in whose name more than 25 motor vehicles are registered may qualify as a self-insurer by obtaining a certificate of self-insurance from the commissioner of insurance.  Upon application of any such carrier, the commissioner of insurance may issue a certificate of self-insurance, if the commissioner is satisfied that such carrier is possessed and will continue to be possessed of ability to pay any judgment obtained against such carrier arising out of the ownership, operation, maintenance or use of any motor vehicle registered in such carrier's name.

(d) Upon notice and a hearing in accordance with the provisions of the Kansas administrative procedure act, the commissioner of insurance may cancel a certificate of self-insurance upon reasonable grounds.  Failure to pay any judgment against a self-insurer, arising out of the ownership, operation, maintenance or use of a motor vehicle registered in such self-insurer's name, within 30 days after such judgment shall have become final, shall constitute reasonable grounds for the cancellation of a certificate of self-insurance.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard