Kansas Statutes Chapter 45. Public Records, Documents and Information § 45-230. Unlawful use of names derived from public records
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Kansas Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) No person shall knowingly sell, give or receive, for the purpose of selling or offering for sale any property or service to persons listed therein, any list of names and addresses contained in or derived from public records except:
(1) Lists of names and addresses from public records of the division of vehicles obtained under K.S.A. 74-2012, and amendments thereto;
(2) lists of names and addresses of persons licensed, registered or issued certificates or permits to practice a profession or vocation may be sold or given to, and received by, an organization of persons who practice that profession or vocation for membership, informational or other purposes related to the practice of the profession or vocation;
(3) lists of names and addresses of persons applying for examination for licenses, registrations, certificates or permits to practice a profession or vocation shall be sold or given to, and received by, organizations providing professional or vocational educational materials or courses to such persons for the sole purpose of providing such persons with information relating to the availability of such materials or courses;
(4) lists of names, addresses and other information from voter registration lists may be compiled, used, given, received, sold or purchased by any person, as defined in K.S.A. 21-5111, and amendments thereto, solely for political campaign or election purposes;
(5) lists of names and addresses from the public records of postsecondary institutions as defined in K.S.A. 74-3201b, and amendments thereto, may be given to, and received and disseminated by such institution's separately incorporated affiliates and supporting organizations, which qualify under section 501(c)(3) of the federal internal revenue code of 1986, for use in the furtherance of the purposes and programs of such institutions and such affiliates and supporting organizations;
(6) lists of names and addresses from public records of the secretary of state obtained under K.S.A. 84-9-523, and amendments thereto; and
(7) to the extent otherwise authorized by law.
(b) Any person subject to this section who knowingly violates the provisions of this section shall be liable for the payment of a civil penalty in an action brought by the attorney general or county or district attorney in a sum set by the court not to exceed $500 for each violation.
(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to nor impose any civil liability or penalty upon any public official, public agency or records custodian for granting access to or providing copies of public records or information containing names and addresses, in good faith compliance with the Kansas open records act, to a person who has made a written request for access to such information and has executed a written certification pursuant to K.S.A. 45-220(c)(2), and amendments thereto.
(d) This section shall be a part of and supplemental to the Kansas open records act.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Kansas Statutes Chapter 45. Public Records, Documents and Information § 45-230. Unlawful use of names derived from public records - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ks/chapter-45-public-records-documents-and-information/ks-st-sect-45-230.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?