Kansas Statutes Chapter 40. Insurance §,193 40-2,193. Specially designed policies; short-term policies
Search Kansas Statutes
(a) For the purposes of this section:
(1) “Specially designed policy” means an insurance policy that by design may not meet all or part of the definitions of a group or individual sickness and accident insurance policy and includes temporary sickness and accident insurance on a short-term basis.
(2) “Short-term” means an insurance policy period of six months or 12 months, based upon policy design, which offers not more than one renewal period with or without a requirement of medical re-underwriting or medical requalification.
(A) Because a short-term policy addresses the special needs for temporary coverage, a short-term policy is not subject to continuation provisions of the health insurance portability and accountability act of 1996 (public law 104-191).
(B) Because a short-term policy addresses the special needs for temporary coverage, a short-term policy shall be exempt from medical loss ratio calculations associated with individual sickness and accident insurance issued within the state unless such calculation excludes any monthly administration fee associated with the sale of such policy.
(b) Specially designed policies shall include policies designed to provide sickness and accident insurance for specific coverage of benefits or services that may be excluded as benefits or services cited under K.S.A. 40-2,192 , and amendments thereto. Specially designed policies may include the following stand-alone policies and coverages:
(1) Chiropractic plans;
(2) acupuncture coverage plans;
(3) holistic medical treatment plans;
(4) podiatrist plans;
(5) pharmacy plans;
(6) psychiatric plans;
(7) allergy plans; and
(8) such other stand-alone plans or combinations of plans of accepted traditional and nontraditional medical practice as shall be allowable for exclusion from group or individual plans under K.S.A. 40-2,192 , and amendments thereto.
(c) No specially designed policy shall be deemed to be included under the definition of group sickness and accident insurance, including short-term, limited-duration health insurance, issued or renewed inside or outside of this state and covering persons residing in this state.
Read this complete Kansas Statutes Chapter 40. Insurance §,193 40-2,193. Specially designed policies; short-term policies on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.