(b) Except as provided in subsection (g), specialized driving privileges granted under this section shall be granted for a period of time as determined by the court. A court, at its discretion, may set periodic review hearings to review an individual's specialized driving privileges.
(c) Specialized driving privileges granted under this section:
(1) must be determined by a court; and
(2) are limited to restricting the individual to being allowed to operate a motor vehicle between the place of employment of the individual and the individual's residence.
(d) An individual who has been granted specialized driving privileges under this section shall:
(1) maintain proof of future financial responsibility insurance during the period of specialized driving privileges;
(2) carry a copy of the order granting specialized driving privileges or have the order in the vehicle being operated by the individual;
(3) produce the copy of the order granting specialized driving privileges upon the request of a police officer; and
(4) carry a validly issued driver's license.
(e) An individual who holds a commercial driver's license and has been granted specialized driving privileges under this chapter may not, for the duration of the suspension for which the specialized driving privileges are sought, operate a motor vehicle that requires the individual to hold a commercial driver's license to operate the motor vehicle.
(f) An individual who seeks specialized driving privileges must file a petition for specialized driving privileges in each court that has ordered or imposed a suspension of the individual's driving privileges. Each petition must:
(1) be verified by the petitioner;
(2) state the petitioner's age, date of birth, and address;
(3) state the grounds for relief and the relief sought;
(4) be filed in the court that ordered or imposed the suspension; and
(5) be served on the bureau and the prosecuting attorney.
A prosecuting attorney shall appear on behalf of the bureau to respond to a petition filed under this subsection.
(g) Whenever a suspension of an individual's driving privileges under this chapter is terminated because:
(1) the underlying conviction, judgment, or finding that forms the basis of the suspension is reversed, vacated, or dismissed; or
(2) the individual is acquitted of, found not liable for, or otherwise found not to have committed the underlying act or offense that forms the basis of the suspension;
the individual's specialized driving privileges expire at the time the suspension of the individual's driving privileges is terminated.
(h) The court shall inform the bureau of a termination of a suspension of driving privileges and expiration of specialized driving privileges as described under subsection (g) in a format designated by the bureau.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 9. Motor Vehicles § 9-30-16-3.5 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-9-motor-vehicles/in-code-sect-9-30-16-3-5.html
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.