Skip to main content

Indiana Code Title 9. Motor Vehicles § 9-21-16-5

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec. 5 . A person may not stop, stand, or park a vehicle, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or to avoid conflict with law or the directions of a police officer or traffic control device, in any of the following places:

(1) On a sidewalk.

(2) In front of a public or private driveway.

(3) Within an intersection.

(4) Within fifteen (15) feet of a fire hydrant.

(5) On a crosswalk.

(6) Within twenty (20) feet of a crosswalk at an intersection.

(7) Within thirty (30) feet upon the approach to any flashing beacon, stop sign, or traffic control signal located at the side of a roadway.

(8) Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb or within thirty (30) feet of points on the curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone, unless the traffic authority indicates a different length by signs or markings.

(9) Within fifty (50) feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing.

(10) Within twenty (20) feet of the driveway entrance to a fire station and, on the side of a street opposite the entrance to a fire station, within seventy-five (75) feet of the entrance (when properly sign posted).

(11) Alongside or opposite a street excavation or obstruction if stopping, standing, or parking would obstruct traffic.

(12) On the roadway side of a vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street.

(13) Upon a bridge or other elevated structure upon a highway or within a highway tunnel.

(14) At any place where official signs prohibit stopping.

Cite this article: - Indiana Code Title 9. Motor Vehicles § 9-21-16-5 - last updated June 08, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard