Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 2. (a) A person may apply to the bureau for a temporary registration permit for a vehicle. The bureau shall issue the person a temporary registration permit after the person does the following:
(1) Provides proof of financial responsibility in effect with respect to the vehicle in the amounts specified under IC 9-25.
(2) Pays a fee of eighteen dollars ($18). The fee shall be distributed as follows:
(A) Twenty-five cents ($0.25) to the state construction fund.
(B) Fifty cents ($0.50) to the state motor vehicle technology fund.
(C) One dollar and twenty-five cents ($1.25) to the integrated public safety communications fund.
(D) Five dollars ($5) to the commission fund.
(E) Any remaining amount to the motor vehicle highway account.
(b) A temporary registration permit is valid for a period of thirty (30) days from the date of issuance and authorizes the use of the vehicle on a highway if any of the following conditions exist:
(1) The person has purchased or otherwise obtained the vehicle in Indiana and will be titling or registering the vehicle in another state or foreign country.
(2) The person is an Indiana resident and is intending to move to another state and the current vehicle registration or temporary permit will expire before the person moves.
(3) The person is an Indiana resident and the vehicle registration in another state has expired and the person has applied under IC 9-17 for a title for the vehicle.
(4) The person owns and operates the vehicle and the person:
(A) does not operate the vehicle as a lessor; and
(B) moves the empty vehicle from one (1) lessee-carrier to another.
(5) The person owns a vehicle for which emissions testing is required and the vehicle will require further mechanical repairs in order to comply with the emissions testing requirements.
(c) A temporary registration permit shall be displayed on a vehicle in a manner determined by the bureau.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 9. Motor Vehicles § 9-18.1-12-2 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-9-motor-vehicles/in-code-sect-9-18-1-12-2.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?