Sec. 6.6 . (a) This section applies only to a person:
(1) arrested for a violation of:
(A) section 3 of this chapter if the offense involved a state of intoxication caused by the person's use of alcohol;
(B) section 6 of this chapter if the offense involved the person being, or becoming, intoxicated as a result of the person's use of alcohol; or
(C) IC 7.1-5-7-7 ; and
(2) whose arrest was facilitated because another person reported that the person appeared to be in need of medical assistance due to the use of alcohol.
(b) If a person described in subsection (a):
(1) does not have a prior conviction for an offense described in subsection (a);
(2) pleads guilty to an offense described in subsection (a); and
(3) agrees to be placed in the custody of the court;
the court, without entering a judgment of conviction, shall defer further proceedings and place the person in the custody of the court under conditions determined by the court.
(c) If the person placed in the custody of the court violates the conditions of custody, the court may enter a judgment of conviction. However, if the person fulfills the conditions of the custody, the court shall dismiss the charges against the person.
(d) There may be only one (1) dismissal under this section with respect to a person.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.