Sec. 3 . (a) As used in this section, “motor vehicle” means a vehicle that would be subject to the vehicle excise tax imposed under IC 6-6-5 if the vehicle were to be used in Indiana.
(b) Notwithstanding section 2 of this chapter, the state gross retail tax rate on a motor vehicle that a purchaser intends to:
(1) transport to a destination outside Indiana within thirty (30) days after delivery; and
(2) title or register for use in another state or country;
is the rate of that state or country (excluding any locally imposed tax rates) as certified by the seller and purchaser in an affidavit satisfying the requirements of subsection (c).
(c) The department of state revenue shall prescribe the form of the affidavit required by subsection (b). In addition to the certification required by subsection (b), the affidavit must include the following:
(1) The name of the state or country in which the motor vehicle will be titled or registered.
(2) An affirmation by the purchaser under the penalties for perjury that the information contained in the affidavit is true.
(3) Any other information required by the department of state revenue for the purpose of verifying the information contained in the affidavit.
(d) The department may audit affidavits submitted under this section and make a proposed assessment of the amount of unpaid tax due with respect to any incorrect information submitted in an affidavit required by this section.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.