Indiana Code Title 36. Local Government § 36-8-12-2
Search Indiana Code
Sec. 2 . As used in this chapter:
“Emergency medical services personnel” means individuals certified by the emergency medical services commission established by IC 16-31-2-1 who:
(1) as a result of a written application, have been elected or appointed to membership in a volunteer fire department; and
(2) have executed a pledge to faithfully perform, with or without nominal compensation, the work related duties assigned and orders given to the individuals by the chief of the volunteer fire department or an officer of the volunteer fire department, including orders or duties involving education and training.
“Employee” means a person in the service of another person under a written or implied contract of hire or apprenticeship.
(1) a political subdivision;
(2) an individual or the legal representative of a deceased individual;
(3) a firm;
(4) an association;
(5) a limited liability company;
(7) a corporation or its receiver or trustee;
that uses the services of another person for pay.
“Essential employee” means an employee:
(1) who the employer has determined to be essential to the operation of the employer's daily enterprise; and
(2) without whom the employer is likely to suffer economic injury as a result of the absence of the essential employee.
“Nominal compensation” means annual compensation of not more than twenty thousand dollars ($20,000).
“Public servant” has the meaning set forth in IC 35-31.5-2-261 .
“Responsible party” has the meaning set forth in IC 13-11-2-191(e) .
“Volunteer fire department” means a department or association organized for the purpose of answering fire alarms, extinguishing fires, and providing other emergency services, the majority of members of which receive no compensation or nominal compensation for their services.
“Volunteer firefighter” means a firefighter:
(1) who, as a result of a written application, has been elected or appointed to membership in a volunteer fire department;
(2) who has executed a pledge to faithfully perform, with or without nominal compensation, the work related duties assigned and orders given to the firefighter by the chief of the volunteer fire department or an officer of the volunteer fire department, including orders or duties involving education and training as prescribed by the volunteer fire department or the state; and
(3) whose name has been entered on a roster of volunteer firefighters that is kept by the volunteer fire department and that has been approved by the proper officers of the unit.
“Volunteer member” means a member of a volunteer emergency medical services association connected with a unit as set forth in IC 16-31-5-1(6) .
Read this complete Indiana Code Title 36. Local Government § 36-8-12-2 on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.