Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure § 35-45-17-2
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Indiana Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
Sec. 2. A person who knowingly or intentionally does any of the following commits panhandling, a Class C misdemeanor:
(1) Panhandling when the individual being solicited is:
(A) at a bus stop;
(B) in a:
(i) vehicle; or
used for public transportation;
(C) in a motor vehicle that is parked or stopped on a public street or alley, unless the person soliciting the individual has the approval to do so by a unit of local government that has jurisdiction over the public street or alley;
(D) in the sidewalk dining area of a restaurant;
(E) within fifty (50) feet of:
(i) an automated teller machine;
(ii) the entrance or exit to a bank, business, or restaurant; or
(iii) the location where a financial transaction occurs; or
(F) within fifty (50) feet of a public monument.
(2) Panhandling while touching the individual being solicited without the solicited individual's consent.
(3) Panhandling while the individual being solicited is standing in line and waiting to be admitted to a commercial establishment.
(4) Panhandling while blocking:
(A) the path of the individual being solicited; or
(B) the entrance to a building or motor vehicle.
(5) Panhandling while using profane or abusive language:
(A) during a solicitation; or
(B) after the individual being solicited has declined to donate money or something else of value.
(6) Panhandling while making a statement, a gesture, or another communication to the individual being solicited that would cause a reasonable individual to:
(A) fear for the individual's safety; or
(B) feel compelled to donate.
(7) Panhandling with at least one (1) other individual.
(8) Panhandling and then following or accompanying the solicited individual without the solicited individual's consent after the solicited individual has declined to donate money or something else of value.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure § 35-45-17-2 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-35-criminal-law-and-procedure/in-code-sect-35-45-17-2.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?