Skip to main content

Indiana Code Title 33. Courts and Court Officers § 33-33-2-39

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec. 39. (a) When a judge of the superior court:

(1) dies, resigns, is removed from office;  or

(2) is for any reason ineligible to continue or incapable of continuing in office until the end of the judge's term in office;

a judge in another division may not more than thirty (30) days after the vacancy occurs transfer to the vacant position for the remainder of the transferring judge's term.  A judge who has made one (1) transfer is ineligible to make any other transfers.  If more than one (1) judge desires to transfer, the most senior of these judges is entitled to transfer.  After a transfer, or the thirty (30) day period if a transfer is not made, the commission shall meet to nominate three (3) candidates to fill the unexpired term of the vacancy caused by the transferring judge or the original vacancy if a transfer is not made.

(b) The clerk shall promptly notify the members of the commission of a vacancy that the commission must fill under subsection (a), and the chairman shall call a meeting of the commission within ten (10) days following that notice.  The commission shall submit its nominations of three (3) candidates for the vacancy and shall certify them to the governor not later than sixty (60) days after the vacancy occurred.  When it is known that a vacancy will occur at a definite future date within the term of the governor then serving:

(1) the clerk shall notify the chairman and each member of the commission immediately;  and

(2) the chairman shall call a meeting of the commission within ten (10) days following that notice.

The commission may then submit its nominations of three (3) candidates for each impending vacancy and shall certify them to the governor.

(c) Meetings of the commission shall be called by its chairman, or, if the chairman fails to call a necessary meeting, upon the call of any four (4) members of the commission.  Written notice of a meeting shall be given by mail to each member of the commission at least five (5) days before the meeting, unless the commission at its previous meeting designated the time and place of its next meeting.

(d) Meetings of the commission may be held in the Allen County courthouse or in another public building in Allen County designated by the commission.

(e) The commission shall act only at a meeting and may act only by the concurrence of a majority of its members attending a meeting.  The commission may adopt rules for the conduct of its proceedings and the discharge of its duties.

§ 35. Termination of a program. A program may be terminated only by the submission of and approval of the issue in the form of a public question before the voters of the territory of the program at a regularly scheduled election in the same manner as the question of the creation of the program, as set forth in Section 15 of this Act. If a majority of the voters voting upon the question approve the termination of the program, as certified by the proper election authorities, the program shall conclude its business and cease operations within one year of the date on which the election containing the public question was held.

In terminating the program, the governing commission shall refund the remaining balance of the security fund, if any, after all potential liabilities have been satisfied, to the then current property taxpayers of all property within the territory of the commission in an equitable manner proportionate to the manner in which the security fund was raised.

Cite this article: - Indiana Code Title 33. Courts and Court Officers § 33-33-2-39 - last updated June 08, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard