Indiana Code Title 32. Property § 32-31-8-6

Sec. 6 . (a) A tenant may bring an action in a court with jurisdiction to enforce an obligation of a landlord under this chapter.

(b) A tenant may not bring an action under this chapter unless the following conditions are met:

(1) The tenant gives the landlord notice of the landlord's noncompliance with a provision of this chapter.

(2) The landlord has been given a reasonable amount of time to make repairs or provide a remedy of the condition described in the tenant's notice.  The tenant may not prevent the landlord from having access to the rental premises to make repairs or provide a remedy to the condition described in the tenant's notice.

(3) The landlord fails or refuses to repair or remedy the condition described in the tenant's notice.

(c) This section may not be construed to limit a tenant's rights under IC 32-31-3, IC 32-31-5, or IC 32-31-6.

(d) If the tenant is the prevailing party in an action under this section, the tenant may obtain any of the following, if appropriate under the circumstances:

(1) Recovery of the following:

(A) Actual damages and consequential damages.

(B) Attorney's fees and court costs.

(2) Injunctive relief.

(3) Any other remedy appropriate under the circumstances.

(e) A landlord's liability for damages under subsection (d) begins when:

(1) the landlord has notice or actual knowledge of noncompliance;  and

(2) the landlord has:

(A) refused to remedy the noncompliance;  or

(B) failed to remedy the noncompliance within a reasonable amount of time following the notice or actual knowledge;

whichever occurs first.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.