Indiana Code Title 32. Property § 32-28-3-10

Sec. 10 . (a) A lien is void if both of the following occur:

(1) The owner of property subject to a mechanic's lien or any person or corporation having an interest in the property, including a mortgagee or a lienholder, provides written notice to the owner or holder of the lien to file an action to foreclose the lien.

(2) The owner or holder of the lien fails to file an action to foreclose the lien in the county where the property is located not later than thirty (30) days after receiving the notice.

However, this section does not prevent the claim from being collected as other claims are collected by law.

(b) A person who gives notice under subsection (a)(1) by registered or certified mail to the lienholder at the address given in the recorded statement and notice of intention to hold a lien may file an affidavit of service of the notice to file an action to foreclose the lien with the recorder of the county in which the property is located.  The affidavit must state the following:

(1) The facts of the notice.

(2) That more than thirty (30) days have passed since the notice was received by the lienholder.

(3) That no action for foreclosure of the lien is pending.

(4) That no unsatisfied judgment has been rendered on the lien.

(c) The recorder shall:

(1) record the affidavit of service in the miscellaneous record book of the recorder's office;  and

(2) certify on the face of the record any lien that is fully released.

When the recorder records the affidavit and certifies the record under this subsection, the real estate described in the lien is released from the lien.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.