Indiana Code Title 32. Property § 32-27-3-1
Search Indiana Code
Sec. 1 . The following definitions apply throughout this chapter:
(1) “Action” means any civil lawsuit or action in contract or tort for damages or indemnity brought against a construction professional to assert a claim, whether by complaint, counterclaim, or cross claim, for damage or the loss of use of real or personal property caused by a defect in the construction of a residence or in the substantial remodeling of a residence. “Action” does not include:
(A) a claim in bankruptcy; or
(B) any civil action in tort alleging personal injury to or wrongful death of a person or persons resulting from a construction defect.
(2) “Association” means an association of co-owners (as defined in IC 32-25-2-2 ).
(3) “Claimant” means a home owner who or an association that asserts a claim against a construction professional concerning a defect in the construction of a residence or in the substantial remodeling of a residence.
(4) “Construction professional” means an architect, a builder, a builder vendor, a contractor, a subcontractor, or an engineer, including but not limited to any person performing or furnishing the design, supervision, construction, or observation of the construction of any improvement to real property, whether operating as a sole proprietor, a partnership, a corporation, or another business entity that contracts with the home owner to build the residence. A construction professional is not a home owner under this chapter unless the construction professional occupies the residence that is the basis for the claimed defect.
(5) “Defect” or “construction defect” means damage or deficiency in the residential construction, design, specifications, surveying, planning, supervision, testing, inspection, or observation of construction.
(6) “Home owner” means:
(A) any person, company, firm, partnership, corporation, association, or other business entity that:
(i) is owner of the residence; and
(ii) contracts with a construction professional for the construction, sale, or construction and sale of a residence; or
(B) a subsequent purchaser of a residence from a home owner.
(7) “Residence” means a:
(A) single family house;
(D) quadraplex; or
(E) unit in a multiple unit residential structure in which title to the individual unit is transferred to the owner under a condominium or cooperative system.
For purposes of clause (E), the term includes common areas and facilities (as defined in IC 32-25-2-4 ).
(8) “Serve” or “service” means personal service or delivery by certified mail to the last known address of the addressee.
(9) “Substantial remodeling” means a remodeling of a residence, the total cost of which exceeds fifty percent (50%) of the assessed value under IC 6-1.1-1-3(a)(2) of the residence at the time that the contract for the remodeling work was made.
Read this complete Indiana Code Title 32. Property § 32-27-3-1 on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.