Skip to main content

Indiana Code Title 32. Property § 32-25.5-3-5

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec. 5. (a) This section does not apply to money borrowed by a homeowners association that is needed to:

(1) resolve, settle, or otherwise satisfy an act of enforcement against the homeowners association for violating a state or local law;  or

(2) address an emergency that affects the public health, safety, or welfare.

(b) A homeowners association may not borrow money during any calendar year on behalf of the homeowners association in an amount that exceeds the greater of:

(1) five thousand dollars ($5,000) during any calendar year;  or

(2) if the homeowners association operated under an annual budget in the previous calendar year, an amount equal to at least ten percent (10%) of the previous annual budget of the homeowners association;

unless borrowing the money is approved by the affirmative vote of a majority of the members of the homeowners association voting under this section.

(c) A person who owns a lot, parcel, tract, unit, or interest in land in a subdivision may cast one (1) vote under this section for each lot, parcel, tract, unit, or interest in land in the subdivision that is owned by the person unless the governing documents provide for a different voting procedure.

(d) A vote held under this section must be conducted by paper ballot.

(e) A homeowners association shall distribute paper ballots to persons eligible to vote under this section at least thirty (30) days before the date the votes are to be opened and counted.

(f) Votes cast under this section shall be opened and counted at a public meeting held by the homeowners association.

Cite this article: - Indiana Code Title 32. Property § 32-25.5-3-5 - last updated June 08, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard