Skip to main content

Indiana Code Title 32. Property § 32-24-2-11

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec. 11. (a) The appeal may be taken by filing an original complaint in the court against the municipality within the time required by section 10(d) of this chapter, setting forth the action of the works board with respect to the assessment and stating the facts relied upon as showing an error on the part of the board.  The court shall rehear the matter of the assessment de novo and confirm, reduce, or increase the assessment.  If the court reduces the amount of benefit assessed or increases the amount of damages awarded, the plaintiff may recover costs.  If the court confirms the amount of the assessment, the plaintiff may not recover costs.

(b) If upon appeal the benefits assessed or damages awarded by the works board are reduced or increased, the municipality may, upon the payment of costs, discontinue the proceedings.  It may also, through the works board, make and adopt an additional assessment against all the property originally assessed in the proceeding, or that part that is benefitted, in the manner provided for the original assessment.  However, such an assessment against any one (1) piece of property may not exceed ten percent (10%) of the original assessment against it.

(c) If the municipality decides to discontinue the proceedings upon payment of costs and if assessments for benefits have already been paid, the amounts paid shall be paid back to the person or persons paying them.

(d) The parties may appeal a court's judgment under this section in the manner that appeals are taken from final judgments in civil actions.  All of the parties shall take notice of and be bound by the judgment of the appeal.

Cite this article: - Indiana Code Title 32. Property § 32-24-2-11 - last updated June 08, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard