Indiana Code Title 31. Family Law and Juvenile Law § 31-19-9-1
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Indiana Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
Sec. 1. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a petition to adopt a child who is less than eighteen (18) years of age may be granted only if written consent to adoption has been executed by the following:
(1) Each living parent of a child born in wedlock, including a man who is presumed to be the child's biological father under IC 31-14-7-1(1) if the man is the biological or adoptive parent of the child.
(2) The mother of a child born out of wedlock and the father of a child whose paternity has been established by:
(A) a court proceeding other than the adoption proceeding, except as provided in IC 31-14-20-2; or
(B) a paternity affidavit executed under IC 16-37-2-2.1;
unless the putative father gives implied consent to the adoption under section 15 of this chapter.
(3) Each person, agency, or local office having lawful custody of the child whose adoption is being sought.
(4) The court having jurisdiction of the custody of the child if the legal guardian or custodian of the person of the child is not empowered to consent to the adoption.
(5) The child to be adopted if the child is more than fourteen (14) years of age.
(6) The spouse of the child to be adopted if the child is married.
(b) A parent who is less than eighteen (18) years of age may consent to an adoption without the concurrence of:
(1) the individual's parent or parents; or
(2) the guardian of the individual's person;
unless the court, in the court's discretion, determines that it is in the best interest of the child to be adopted to require the concurrence.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 31. Family Law and Juvenile Law § 31-19-9-1 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-31-family-law-and-juvenile-law/in-code-sect-31-19-9-1.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?