Indiana Code Title 31. Family Law and Juvenile Law § 31-16-6-1.5
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Indiana Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
Sec. 1.5. (a) A court shall specify in a child support order which parent of a child may claim the child as a dependent for purposes of federal and state taxes.
(b) In determining which parent may claim the child as a dependent under subsection (a), the court shall consider the following:
(1) The value of claiming the child as a dependent at the marginal tax rate of each parent.
(2) The income of each parent.
(3) The age of the child or children and the number of years that the child or children could be claimed as a dependent or dependents.
(4) Each parent's percentage of the costs of supporting the child or children.
(5) If applicable, the financial aid benefit for postsecondary education for the child or children.
(6) If applicable, the financial burden each parent assumed under the property settlement in a dissolution proceeding.
(7) Any other relevant factors.
(c) If a court designates that the noncustodial parent of a child may claim the child as a dependent for purposes of federal and state taxes, the court shall order the custodial parent of the child to take all actions necessary to release the custodial parent's claim to the exemption in the manner required under Section 152(e) of the Internal Revenue Code.
(d) If a court determines that a parent who is ordered to pay child support may claim the child as a dependent under subsection (a), the court shall include in the order that the parent may only claim the child as a dependent for federal and state tax purposes if the parent has paid at least ninety-five percent (95%) of the parent's child support for the calendar year for which the parent is ordered to claim the child as a dependent by January 31 of the following year.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 31. Family Law and Juvenile Law § 31-16-6-1.5 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-31-family-law-and-juvenile-law/in-code-sect-31-16-6-1-5.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?