Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 12. (a) This section applies only to a guardianship of the property of a minor or an incapacitated adult.
(b) If a third party fails to comply with a guardian's written demand or instruction that:
(1) was issued within the scope of the guardian's authority; and
(2) is consistent with this article;
the guardian may bring an enforcement proceeding to compel compliance in the court having jurisdiction over the guardianship.
(c) A court may award attorney's fees and costs to the guardian in an enforcement proceeding under subsection (b), if the person indebted to the guardianship estate or holding property of the guardianship estate:
(1) acted in bad faith in failing to comply with the guardian's written demand or instruction; or
(2) refused to respond within thirty (30) business days after receiving the guardian's written demand or instruction, if the demand or instruction is consistent with this article.
(d) A court may, upon notice and hearing, award attorney's fees and costs to an estate bringing an enforcement proceeding under subsection (a) against an insurer regulated under IC 27 if:
(1) the insurer failed to respond under IC 27 after receiving a written demand or instruction from the personal guardian; and
(2) the written demand or instruction is consistent with this article.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 29. Probate § 29-3-9-12 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-29-probate/in-code-sect-29-3-9-12.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?