Indiana Code Title 29. Probate § 29-2-16.1-6

Sec. 6 . (a) An individual may refuse to make an anatomical gift of the individual's body or part by:

(1) a record signed by:

(A) the individual;  or

(B) subject to subsection (b), another individual acting at the direction of the individual if the individual is physically unable to sign;

(2) the individual's will, including if the will is admitted to probate or invalidated after the individual's death;  or

(3) any form of communication made by the individual during the individual's terminal illness or injury to at least two (2) adults, and one (1) of the adults must be a disinterested witness.

(b) A record signed under subsection (a)(1)(B) must:

(1) be witnessed by two (2) adults, at least one (1) of whom is a disinterested witness, who are witnesses at the request of the donor or the other person acting at the direction of the donor;  and

(2) state that the record has been signed and witnessed as described in subdivision (1).

(c) An individual who has made a refusal may amend or revoke the refusal:

(1) in the manner described in subsection (a);

(2) by subsequently making an anatomical gift under section 4 of this chapter that is inconsistent with the refusal;  or

(3) by destroying or cancelling the record evidencing the refusal, or the portion of the record used to make the refusal, with the intent to revoke the refusal.

(d) Except as provided in section 7(h) of this chapter, in the absence of an express, contrary indication by the individual set forth in the refusal, an individual's unrevoked refusal to make an anatomical gift of the individual's body or part bars another person from making an anatomical gift of the individual's body or part.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.