Indiana Code Title 27. Insurance § 27-8-5-2.5
Search Indiana Code
Sec. 2.5 . (a) As used in this section, the term “policy of accident and sickness insurance” does not include the following:
(1) Accident only, credit, dental, vision, Medicare supplement, long term care, or disability income insurance.
(2) Coverage issued as a supplement to liability insurance.
(3) Automobile medical payment insurance.
(4) A specified disease policy.
(5) A short term insurance plan that:
(A) may not be renewed; and
(B) has a duration of not more than six (6) months.
(6) A policy that provides indemnity benefits not based on any expense incurred requirement, including a plan that provides coverage for:
(A) hospital confinement, critical illness, or intensive care; or
(B) gaps for deductibles or copayments.
(7) Worker's compensation or similar insurance.
(8) A student health plan.
(9) A supplemental plan that always pays in addition to other coverage.
(10) An employer sponsored health benefit plan that is:
(A) provided to individuals who are eligible for Medicare; and
(B) not marketed as, or held out to be, a Medicare supplement policy.
(b) The benefits provided by:
(1) an individual policy of accident and sickness insurance; or
(2) a certificate of coverage that is issued under a nonemployer based association group policy of accident and sickness insurance to an individual who is a resident of Indiana;
may not be excluded, limited, or denied for more than twelve (12) months after the effective date of the coverage because of a preexisting condition of the individual.
(c) An individual policy of accident and sickness insurance or a certificate of coverage described in subsection (b) may not define a preexisting condition, a rider, or an endorsement more restrictively than as:
(1) a condition that would have caused an ordinarily prudent person to seek medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment during the twelve (12) months immediately preceding the effective date of the plan;
(2) a condition for which medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment was recommended or received during the twelve (12) months immediately preceding the effective date of the plan; or
(3) a pregnancy existing on the effective date of the plan.
(d) An insurer shall reduce the period allowed for a preexisting condition exclusion described in subsection (b) by the amount of time the individual has continuously served under a preexisting condition clause for a policy of accident and sickness insurance issued under IC 27-8-15 if the individual applies for a policy under this chapter not more than thirty (30) days after coverage under a policy of accident and sickness insurance issued under IC 27-8-15 expires.
Read this complete Indiana Code Title 27. Insurance § 27-8-5-2.5 on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.