Sec. 6 . (a) Unless the articles of incorporation or bylaws provide otherwise, a board of directors may create one (1) or more committees and appoint members of the board of directors to serve on them. Each committee may have one (1) or more members, who serve at the pleasure of the board of directors.
(b) The creation of a committee and appointment of members to it must be approved by the greater of:
(1) a majority of all the directors in office when the action is taken; or
(2) the number of directors required by the articles of incorporation or bylaws to take action under section 5 of this chapter.
(c) Sections 1 through 5 of this chapter, which govern meetings, action without meetings, notice and waiver of notice, and quorum and voting requirements of the board of directors, apply to committees and their members as well.
(d) To the extent specified by the board of directors or in the articles of incorporation or bylaws, each committee may exercise the authority of the board of directors under IC 23-1-33-1 .
(e) A committee may not, however:
(1) authorize distributions, except a committee (or an executive officer of the corporation designated by the board of directors) may authorize or approve a reacquisition of shares or other distribution if done according to a formula or method, or within a range, prescribed by the board of directors;
(2) approve or propose to shareholders action that this article requires to be approved by shareholders;
(3) fill vacancies on the board of directors or on any of its committees;
(4) except to the extent permitted by subdivision (7), amend articles of incorporation under IC 23-1-38-2 ;
(5) adopt, amend, or repeal bylaws;
(6) approve a plan of merger not requiring shareholder approval; or
(7) authorize or approve the issuance or sale or a contract for sale of shares, or determine the designation and relative rights, preferences, and limitations of a class or series of shares, except the board of directors may authorize a committee (or an executive officer of the corporation designated by the board of directors) to take the action described in this subdivision within limits prescribed by the board of directors.
(f) The creation of, delegation of authority to, or action by a committee does not alone constitute compliance by a director with the standards of conduct described in IC 23-1-35-1 .
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 23. Business and Other Associations § 23-1-34-6 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-23-business-and-other-associations/in-code-sect-23-1-34-6.html
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.