Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 7. (a) Each school corporation shall include in the school corporation's curriculum the following studies:
(1) Language arts, including:
(D) speech; and
(E) second languages.
(3) Social studies and citizenship, including the:
(B) governmental systems; and
of Indiana and the United States, including an enhanced study of the Holocaust in each high school United States history course. As part of the United States government credit awarded for the general, Core 40, Core 40 with academic honors, and Core 40 with technical honors designation, each high school shall administer the naturalization examination provided by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.
(4) Sciences, including, after June 30, 2021, computer science.
(5) Fine arts, including music and art.
(6) Health education, physical fitness, safety, and the effects of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, and other substances on the human body.
(7) Additional studies selected by each governing body, subject to revision by the state board.
(1) school corporation;
(2) charter school; and
(3) state accredited nonpublic school;
shall offer the study of ethnic and racial groups as a one (1) semester elective course in its high school curriculum at least once every school year.
(c) The course described in subsection (b) may be offered by the school corporation, charter school, or state accredited nonpublic school through a course access program administered by the department.
(d) Not later than November 1, 2022, and not later than November 1 each year thereafter, the department shall report to the general assembly in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6 the following:
(1) The number of students who took the naturalization examination described in subsection (a)(3).
(2) The number of students who passed the naturalization examination described in subsection (a)(3) by a score of not less than sixty percent (60%) on their first attempt.
(3) The pass rate of the naturalization examination regarding the students who passed as described in subdivision (2).
(e) Not more than thirty (30) days after the department reports to the general assembly the information under subsection (d), the department shall post the pass rate under subsection (d)(3) on the department's Internet web site.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 20. Education § 20-30-5-7 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-20-education/in-code-sect-20-30-5-7.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.