§ 5.1. Duty Not To Delegate. (a) The trustee has a duty not to delegate to others the performance of any acts involving the exercise of judgment and discretion, except acts constituting investment functions that a prudent investor of comparable skills might delegate under the circumstances. The trustee may delegate those investment functions to an investment agent as provided in subsection (b).
(b) For a trustee to properly delegate investment functions under subsection (a), all of the following requirements apply:
(1) The trustee must exercise reasonable care, skill, and caution in selecting the investment agent, in establishing the scope and specific terms of any delegation, and in periodically reviewing the agent's actions in order to monitor overall performance and compliance with the scope and specific terms of the delegation.
(2) The trustee must conduct an inquiry into the experience, performance history, professional licensing or registration, if any, and financial stability of the investment agent.
(3) The investment agent shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of the State of Illinois.
(4) The investment agent shall be subject to the same standards that are applicable to the trustee.
(5) The investment agent shall be liable to the beneficiaries of the trust and to the designated trustee to the same extent as if the investment agent were a designated trustee in relation to the exercise or nonexercise of the investment function.
(6) The trustee shall send written notice of its intention to begin delegating investment functions under this Section to the beneficiaries eligible to receive income from the trust on the date of initial delegation at least 30 days before the delegation. This notice shall thereafter, until or unless the beneficiaries eligible to receive income from the trust at the time are notified to the contrary, authorize the trustee to delegate investment functions pursuant to this Section.
(c) If all requirements of subsection (b) are satisfied, the trustee shall not otherwise be responsible for the investment decisions or actions of the investment agent to which the investment functions are delegated.
(d) On and after July 1, 1992, this Section applies to all existing and future trusts, but only as to actions or inactions occurring after that date.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.