Illinois Statutes Chapter 750. Families § 50/2.Who may adopt a child

§ 2.  Who may adopt a child.

A. Any of the following persons, who is under no legal disability (except the minority specified in sub-paragraph (b)) and who has resided in the State of Illinois continuously for a period of at least 6 months immediately preceding the commencement of an adoption proceeding, or any member of the armed forces of the United States who has been domiciled in the State of Illinois for 90 days, may institute such proceeding:

(a) A reputable person of legal age and of either sex, provided that if such person is married or in a civil union and has not been living separate and apart from his or her spouse or civil union partner for 12 months or longer, his or her spouse or civil union partner shall be a party to the adoption proceeding, including a spouse or civil union partner desiring to adopt a child of the other spouse or civil union partner, in all of which cases the adoption shall be by both spouses or civil union partners jointly;

(b) A minor, by leave of court upon good cause shown.

Notwithstanding sub-paragraph (a) of this subsection, a spouse or civil union partner is not required to join in a petition for adoption to re-adopt a child after an intercountry adoption if the spouse or civil union partner did not previously adopt the child as set forth in subsections (c) and (e) of Section 4.1 of this Act.

B. The residence requirement specified in paragraph A of this Section shall not apply to:

(a) an adoption of a related child or child previously adopted in a foreign country by the petitioner;  or

(b) an adoption of a child placed by an agency.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard