§ 12-0.1. Definitions. In this Article, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
“Bona fide labor dispute” means any controversy concerning wages, salaries, hours, working conditions, or benefits, including health and welfare, sick leave, insurance, and pension or retirement provisions, the making or maintaining of collective bargaining agreements, and the terms to be included in those agreements.
“Coach” means a person recognized as a coach by the sanctioning authority that conducts an athletic contest.
“Correctional institution employee” means a person employed by a penal institution.
“Emergency medical services personnel” has the meaning specified in Section 3.5 of the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Systems Act and shall include all ambulance crew members, including drivers or pilots.
“Family or household members” include spouses, former spouses, parents, children, stepchildren, and other persons related by blood or by present or prior marriage, persons who share or formerly shared a common dwelling, persons who have or allegedly have a child in common, persons who share or allegedly share a blood relationship through a child, persons who have or have had a dating or engagement relationship, persons with disabilities and their personal assistants, and caregivers as defined in Section 12-4.4a of this Code. For purposes of this Article, neither a casual acquaintanceship nor ordinary fraternization between 2 individuals in business or social contexts shall be deemed to constitute a dating relationship.
“In the presence of a child” means in the physical presence of a child or knowing or having reason to know that a child is present and may see or hear an act constituting an offense.
“Park district employee” means a supervisor, director, instructor, or other person employed by a park district.
“Person with a physical disability” means a person who suffers from a permanent and disabling physical characteristic, resulting from disease, injury, functional disorder, or congenital condition.
“Private security officer” means a registered employee of a private security contractor agency under the Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor, and Locksmith Act of 2004.
“Probation officer” means a person as defined in the Probation and Probation Officers Act.
“Sports official” means a person at an athletic contest who enforces the rules of the contest, such as an umpire or referee.
“Sports venue” means a publicly or privately owned sports or entertainment arena, stadium, community or convention hall, special event center, or amusement facility, or a special event center in a public park, during the 12 hours before or after the sanctioned sporting event.
“Streetgang”, “streetgang member”, and “criminal street gang” have the meanings ascribed to those terms in Section 10 of the Illinois Streetgang Terrorism Omnibus Prevention Act.
“Transit employee” means a driver, operator, or employee of any transportation facility or system engaged in the business of transporting the public for hire.
“Transit passenger” means a passenger of any transportation facility or system engaged in the business of transporting the public for hire, including a passenger using any area designated by a transportation facility or system as a vehicle boarding, departure, or transfer location.
“Utility worker” means any of the following:
(1) A person employed by a public utility as defined in Section 3-105 of the Public Utilities Act.
(2) An employee of a municipally owned utility.
(3) An employee of a cable television company.
(4) An employee of an electric cooperative as defined in Section 3-119 of the Public Utilities Act.
(5) An independent contractor or an employee of an independent contractor working on behalf of a cable television company, public utility, municipally owned utility, or electric cooperative.
(6) An employee of a telecommunications carrier as defined in Section 13-202 of the Public Utilities Act, or an independent contractor or an employee of an independent contractor working on behalf of a telecommunications carrier.
(7) An employee of a telephone or telecommunications cooperative as defined in Section 13-212 of the Public Utilities Act, or an independent contractor or an employee of an independent contractor working on behalf of a telephone or telecommunications cooperative.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.