§ 10-802. Each municipality has the power:
(1) To acquire, by purchase or otherwise, construct, reconstruct, improve, enlarge, better, operate, maintain and repair any bridge within the corporate limits or within 5 miles of the corporate limits of the municipality;
(2) To acquire, purchase, hold, use, lease, mortgage, sell, transfer and dispose of any property, real or personal or mixed, tangible or intangible, or any interest therein, in connection with such a bridge, including the power and authority to grant perpetual easements or franchises to any railroad or public transportation facility or any assignee thereof, as a part of the consideration of the purchase of any such bridge, for the exclusive right to the use of a portion or portions of any such bridge for the transportation of persons or property across such bridge;
(3) To fix, alter, charge, collect, segregate, and apply tolls and other charges for transit over and use of such a bridge, provided that, if electronic toll collection is used on such bridge or ferry, the municipality shall configure the electronic toll collection system to be compatible with the electronic toll collection system used by the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority;
(4) To borrow money, make and issue bonds payable from and secured by a pledge of the net revenue of the bridge for the acquisition, construction, reconstruction, improvement, enlargement, betterment or repair of which such bonds may be issued;
(5) To cooperate with any adjoining state, or any political subdivision, agency, department, bureau, commission or authority thereof, of whatsoever kind, in the acquisition, construction, reconstruction, improvement, enlargement, betterment, operation, maintenance and repair of any bridge, and in defraying the cost thereof;
(6) To make contracts of every kind and nature and to execute all instruments necessary or convenient for the carrying out of the purposes of this Division of this Article;
(7) Without limitation of the foregoing, to borrow money and to accept grants from the United States or any person, and to enter into contracts with the United States and such person in connection therewith;
(7.5) To enter into intergovernmental agreements with the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority to provide for the compatibility of electronic toll collection services or to have the Authority provide electronic toll collection or toll violation enforcement services; and
(8) To alter, widen, lay out, open or construct any streets, avenues or boulevards within or without any municipality deemed necessary to provide adequate traffic regulation and approach or approaches to such bridge or bridges, and to borrow money and issue bonds for such purpose as provided by this Division of this Article.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.