Skip to main content

Illinois Statutes Chapter 210. Health Facilities and Regulation § 87/10. Definitions

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

§ 10. Definitions. As used in this Act:

Department” means the Department of Public Health.

Interpreter” means a person fluent in English and in the necessary language of the patient who can accurately speak, read, and readily interpret the necessary second language, or a person who can accurately sign and read sign language. Interpreters shall have the ability to translate the names of body parts and to describe completely symptoms and injuries in both languages. Interpreters may include members of the medical or professional staff.

Language or communication barriers” means either of the following:

(1) With respect to spoken language, barriers that are experienced by limited-English-speaking or non-English-speaking individuals who speak the same primary language, if those individuals constitute at least 5% of the patients served by the health facility annually.

(2) With respect to sign language, barriers that are experienced by individuals who are deaf and whose primary language is sign language.

Health facility” means a hospital licensed under the Hospital Licensing Act,  1 a long-term care facility licensed under the Nursing Home Care Act,  2 or a facility licensed under the ID/DD Community Care Act, the MC/DD Act,  3 or the Specialized Mental Health Rehabilitation Act of 2013.

1 210 ILCS 85/1 et seq.
2 210 ILCS 45/1-101 et seq.
3 210 ILCS 46/1-101 et seq.

Cite this article: - Illinois Statutes Chapter 210. Health Facilities and Regulation § 87/10. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard