Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
§ 3-206.03. Resident attendants.
(a) As used in this Section, “resident attendant” means an individual who assists residents in a facility with the following activities:
(1) eating and drinking; and
(2) personal hygiene limited to washing a resident's hands and face, brushing and combing a resident's hair, oral hygiene, shaving residents with an electric razor, and applying makeup.
The term “resident attendant” does not include an individual who:
(1) is a licensed health professional or a registered dietitian;
(2) volunteers without monetary compensation;
(3) is a nurse assistant; or
(4) performs any nursing or nursing related services for residents of a facility.
(b) A facility may employ resident attendants to assist the nurse aides with the activities authorized under subsection (a). The resident attendants shall not count in the minimum staffing requirements under rules implementing this Act.
(c) A facility may not use on a full time or other paid basis any individual as a resident attendant in the facility unless the individual:
(1) has completed a training and competency evaluation program encompassing the tasks the individual provides; and
(2) is competent to provide feeding, hydration, and personal hygiene services.
(d) The training and competency evaluation program may be facility based. It may include one or more of the following units:
(1) A feeding unit that is a maximum of 5 hours in length.
(2) A hydration unit that is a maximum of 3 hours in length.
(3) A personal hygiene unit that is a maximum of 5 hours in length. These programs must be reviewed and approved by the Department every 2 years.
(f) A person seeking employment as a resident attendant is subject to the Health Care Worker Background Check Act.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Illinois Statutes Chapter 210. Health Facilities and Regulation § 46/3-206.03. Resident attendants - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/il/chapter-210-health-facilities-and-regulation/il-st-sect-210-46-3-206-03.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?