Illinois Statutes Chapter 20. Executive Branch § 405/405-317. Bird-safe State buildings
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Illinois Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
§ 405-317. Bird-safe State buildings.
(a) Each State building constructed, acquired, or of which more than 50% of the façade is substantially altered, in the opinion of the Department's Bureau of Property Management, shall meet, as determined by the Director, the following standards:
(1) at least 90% of the exposed façade material from ground level to 40 feet:
(A) shall not be composed of glass; or
(B) shall be composed of glass employing: (i) elements that preclude bird collisions without completely obscuring vision, such as secondary facades, netting, screens, shutters, and exterior shades; (ii) ultraviolet (UV) patterned glass that contains UV-reflective or contrasting patterns that are visible to birds; (iii) patterns on glass designed in accordance with a rule that restricts horizontal spaces to less than 2 inches high and vertical spaces to less than 4 inches wide; (iv) opaque, etched, stained, frosted, or translucent glass; or (v) any combination of the methods described in this subparagraph (B);
(2) at least 60% of the exposed facade material above 40 feet shall meet the standard described in paragraph (1);
(3) there shall not be any transparent passageways or corners;
(4) all glass adjacent to atria or courtyards containing water features, plants, and other materials attractive to birds shall meet the standard described in subparagraph (B) of paragraph (1); and
(5) outside lighting shall be appropriately shielded and minimized subject to security and other mission related requirements.
(b) The Director shall take such actions as may be necessary to ensure that actual bird mortality is monitored at each State building.
(c) The Director, where practicable and consistent with security and other mission related requirements, shall reduce exterior building and site lighting for each State building. This subsection (c) shall not apply to buildings in which the Director does not have control of the exterior building and site lighting. In implementing the requirements of this subsection (c), the Director shall make use of automatic control technologies, including timers, photo-sensors, and infrared and motion detectors.
(d) In implementing the requirements of this Section, the Director may employ any available methods and strategies that are in accordance with existing effective best practices to reduce bird mortality.
(e) The requirements of this Section shall not apply to any acquisition or substantial alteration described in subsection (a) if the Director, after consideration of multiple options, determines that the use of the required building materials and design features would result in a significant additional cost for the project.
(f) Any construction which may be required as a result of the requirements of this Section shall be under the authority of the Capital Development Board in consultation with the Department.
(g) The requirements of this Section shall only apply to State buildings under the management or control of the Department, but does not include buildings leased by the Department.
(h) The requirements of this Section shall not apply to any project in the design or construction phase as of the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 102nd General Assembly.
(i) This Section shall not apply to the following buildings:
(1) any building or site listed, or eligible for listing, on the National Register of Historic Places;
(2) the Executive Mansion and its grounds;
(3) the Illinois Supreme Court Building and its grounds;
(4) the Old State Capitol Building in Springfield, Illinois, and its related buildings and grounds;
(5) the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum and its related buildings and grounds; and
(6) the Illinois State Capitol Building and its related buildings and grounds.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Illinois Statutes Chapter 20. Executive Branch § 405/405-317. Bird-safe State buildings - last updated January 01, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/il/chapter-20-executive-branch/il-st-sect-20-405-405-317.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?