Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Every owner of a motor vehicle which is registered and operated in Idaho by the owner or with his permission shall continuously, except as provided in section 41-2516, Idaho Code , provide insurance against loss resulting from liability imposed by law for bodily injury or death or damage to property suffered by any person caused by maintenance or use of motor vehicles described therein in an amount not less than that required by section 49-117, Idaho Code , and shall demonstrate the existence of any other coverage required by this title or a certificate of self-insurance issued by the department pursuant to section 49-1224, Idaho Code , for each motor vehicle to be registered.
(2) A motor vehicle owner who prefers to post an indemnity bond with the director of the department of insurance in lieu of obtaining a policy of liability insurance may do so. Such bond shall guarantee that any loss resulting from liability imposed by law for bodily injury, death or damage to property suffered by any person caused by accident and arising out of the operation, maintenance and use of the motor vehicle sought to be registered shall be paid within thirty (30) days. The indemnity bonds shall guarantee payment in an amount no less than fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for any one (1) accident of which fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) is for property damage, for each vehicle registered up to a maximum of one hundred twenty thousand dollars ($120,000) for five (5) or more vehicles.
(3) Any bond given in connection with this chapter shall be, and shall be construed to be, a continuing instrument and shall cover the period for which the motor vehicle is to be registered and operated. Such bond shall be on a form approved by the director of insurance with a surety company authorized to do business in the state.
(4) A motor carrier shall continuously provide insurance against loss resulting from liability imposed by law or by rule of the department and shall comply with the insurance requirements of section 49-1233, Idaho Code .
(5) It is an infraction punishable by a fine of seventy-five dollars ($75.00) for any person to violate the provisions of this section for the first time. A second and any subsequent conviction for a violation of the provisions of this section or the provisions of section 49-1232 or 49-1428, Idaho Code , within a period of five (5) years shall be a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six (6) months, or both. The department shall notify any person convicted of a violation of this section of the penalties which may be imposed for a second and any subsequent conviction.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Idaho Statutes Title 49. Motor Vehicles § 49-1229. Required motor vehicle insurance - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/id/title-49-motor-vehicles/id-st-sect-49-1229.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.