Idaho Statutes Title 33. Education § 33-906. Bond levy equalization support program
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Idaho Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(1) Pursuant to section 33-906B, Idaho Code, school districts with a value index below one (1) shall be eligible to receive additional state financial assistance for the cost of annual bond interest and redemption payments made on bonds passed on or after September 15, 2002. However, any school district with a value index of less than one and one-half (1.5), shall receive no less than ten percent (10%) of the interest cost portion of the annual bond interest and redemption payment for bonds passed on or after September 15, 2002. The state department of education shall disburse such funds to school districts from moneys appropriated from the bond levy equalization fund. The department shall disburse the funds by no later than September 1 of each year for school districts in which voters have approved the issuance of qualifying bonds by no later than January 1 of that calendar year, and which are certifying a qualifying bond interest and redemption payment for the fiscal year in which the disbursement is made. For districts with a value index below one (1), the percentage of each annual bond interest and redemption payment that is paid by the state shall be determined by dividing the difference between one (1) and the school district's value index by one (1).
(2) For the purposes of this section, the annual bond interest and redemption payment shall be determined by dividing the total payment amounts by the number of fiscal years in which payments are to be made. The interest cost portion of the annual bond interest and redemption payment shall be determined by dividing the total interest paid by the number of fiscal years in which payments are to be made. For school districts not qualifying for a state payment in the first year of the bond interest and redemption payment schedule, due solely to the January 1 eligibility deadline, the state department of education shall distribute an additional payment in the next fiscal year, in the amount of such funds that the school district would have otherwise qualified for in the current fiscal year.
(3) The provisions of this section may not be utilized to refinance existing debt or subsidize projects previously subsidized by state grants, unless the existing debt being refinanced is a bond passed on or after September 15, 2002; provided however, that any school district that has issued qualifying bonds prior to June 30, 2004, in conformance with this section shall not be deemed to be refinancing existing debt when the qualifying bonds are utilized to finance the acquisition of public school facilities previously leased or financed through means other than the issuance of general obligation bonds approved by a two-thirds ( 2/3 ) vote at an election called for that purpose subject to subsection (5) of this section.
(4) School districts shall annually report the status of all qualifying bonds to the state department of education by January 1 of each year, including bonds approved by the voters, but not yet issued. Information submitted shall include the following:
(a) The actual or estimated bond interest and redemption payment schedule;
(b) Any qualifying bond that has been paid off;
(c) Other information as may be required by the state department of education.
(5) No school district project eligible for participation in the bond levy equalization support program shall be deemed ineligible for participation due to that school district project's eligibility and prior participation in the safe school facilities loan and grant program or the Idaho safe schools facilities program under section 33-804A, 33-1017 or 33-1613, Idaho Code, provided that:
(a) Such school district notifies the state department of education of its desire and eligibility to participate in the bond levy equalization support program; and
(b) Such school district shall receive no state financial assistance for the project under the bond levy equalization support program until the amount to which it would otherwise have been entitled to receive shall equal the amounts received by the school district under the safe school facilities loan and grant program or the Idaho safe schools facilities program under section 33-804A, 33-1017 or 33-1613, Idaho Code.
(6) Any school district formed as a result of the consolidation of two (2) or more school districts that passes an eligible bond within three (3) years of the successful consolidation election shall participate in the bond levy equalization support program at the district's actual value index minus twenty-five hundredths (.25). This adjustment shall apply for the duration of the bond interest and redemption payment schedule. If a school district advantaged by this subsection (6) deconsolidates either during the applicable bond interest and redemption payment schedule, or within a three (3) year period thereafter, each deconsolidated district shall, upon deconsolidation, repay to the bond levy equalization fund all additional subsidies received pursuant to this subsection (6). The proportions owed by each deconsolidated district shall be determined by the proportion that each district's market value for assessment purposes bears to the whole.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Idaho Statutes Title 33. Education § 33-906. Bond levy equalization support program - last updated January 01, 2023 | https://codes.findlaw.com/id/title-33-education/id-st-sect-33-906/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?