Iowa Code Title XVI. Criminal Law and Procedure [Chs. 687-916] § 724.6. Professional permit to carry weapons

1. a. A person may be issued a permit to carry weapons when the person's employment in a private investigation business or private security business licensed under chapter 80A, or a person's employment as a peace officer, correctional officer, security guard, bank messenger or other person transporting property of a value requiring security, or in police work, reasonably justifies that person going armed.

b. The permit shall be on a form prescribed and published by the commissioner of public safety, shall identify the holder, and shall state the nature of the employment requiring the holder to go armed.  A permit so issued, other than to a peace officer, shall authorize the person to whom it is issued to go armed anywhere in the state, only while engaged in the employment, and while going to and from the place of the employment.

c. A permit issued to a certified peace officer shall authorize that peace officer to go armed anywhere in the state at all times, including on the grounds of a school.

d. Permits shall expire twelve months after the date when issued except that permits issued to peace officers and correctional officers are valid through the officer's period of employment unless otherwise canceled.  When the employment is terminated, the holder of the permit shall surrender it to the issuing officer for cancellation.

2. Notwithstanding subsection 1, fire fighters, as defined in section 411.1, subsection 10 , airport fire fighters included under section 97B.49B , and emergency medical care providers, as defined in section 147A.1 , shall not, as a condition of employment, be required to obtain a permit under this section.  However, the provisions of this subsection shall not apply to a person designated as an arson investigator by the chief fire officer of a political subdivision.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard