Skip to main content

Iowa Code Title XII. Business Entities [Chs. 486-504C] § 504.1501. Authority to transact business required

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

1. A foreign corporation shall not transact business in this state until it obtains a certificate of authority from the secretary of state.

2. The following activities, among others, do not constitute transacting business within the meaning of subsection 1:

a. Maintaining, defending, or settling any proceeding.

b. Holding meetings of the board of directors or members or carrying on other activities concerning internal corporate affairs.

c. Maintaining bank accounts.

d. Maintaining offices or agencies for the transfer, exchange, or registration of memberships or securities or maintaining trustees or depositaries with respect to those securities.

e. Selling through independent contractors.

f. Soliciting or obtaining orders, whether by mail or through employees or agents or otherwise, if the orders require acceptance outside this state before they become contracts.

g. Creating or acquiring indebtedness, mortgages, or security interests in real or personal property.

h. Securing or collecting debts or enforcing mortgages or security interests in property securing the debts.

i. Owning, without more, real or personal property.

j. Conducting an isolated transaction that is completed within thirty days and that is not one in the course of repeated transactions of a like nature.

k. Transacting business in interstate commerce.

Cite this article: - Iowa Code Title XII. Business Entities [Chs. 486-504C] § 504.1501. Authority to transact business required - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard