Iowa Code Title XI. Natural Resources [Chs. 455-485] § 455K.2. Definitions
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Iowa Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Department” means the department of natural resources created under section 455A.2 or its delegated authority.
2. “Environmental audit” means a voluntary evaluation of a facility or operation, of an activity at a facility or operation, or of an environmental management system at a facility or operation when the facility, operation, or activity is regulated under state or federal environmental laws, rules, or permit conditions, conducted by an owner or operator, an employee of the owner or operator, or an independent contractor retained by the owner or operator that is designed to identify historical or current noncompliance with environmental laws, rules, ordinances, or permit conditions, discover environmental contamination or hazards, remedy noncompliance or improve compliance with environmental laws, or improve an environmental management system. Once notification is given to the department, an environmental audit shall be completed within a reasonable time not to exceed six months unless an extension is approved by the department based on reasonable grounds.
3. “Environmental audit report” means a document or set of documents generated and developed for the primary purpose and in the course of or as a result of conducting an environmental audit. An “environmental audit report” includes supporting information which may include, but is not limited to, the report document itself, observations, samples, analytical results, exhibits, findings, opinions, suggestions, recommendations, conclusions, drafts, memoranda, drawings, photographs, computer-generated or electronically recorded information, maps, charts, graphs, surveys, implementation plans, interviews, discussions, correspondence, and communications related to the environmental audit. An “environmental audit report” may include any of the following components:
a. An executive summary prepared by the person conducting the environmental audit which may include the scope of the environmental audit, the information gained in the environmental audit, conclusions, recommendations, exhibits, and appendices.
b. Memoranda and documents analyzing portions or all of the report and discussing implementation issues.
c. An implementation plan which addresses correcting past noncompliance, improving current compliance or an environmental management system, or preventing future noncompliance.
d. Periodic updates documenting progress in completing the implementation plan.
4. “Inquiring party” means any party appearing before a court or a presiding officer in an administrative proceeding seeking to review or obtain an in camera review of an environmental audit report.
5. “Owner or operator” means the person or entity who caused the environmental audit to be undertaken.
6. “Privilege” means the protections provided in regard to an environmental audit report as provided in this chapter.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title XI. Natural Resources [Chs. 455-485] § 455K.2. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-xi-natural-resources-chs-455-485/ia-code-sect-455k-2.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?