Skip to main content

Iowa Code Title IX. Local Government [Chs. 331-420] § 414.5. Changes--protest

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

The regulations, restrictions, and boundaries may, from time to time, be amended, supplemented, changed, modified, or repealed. Notwithstanding section 414.2, as a part of an ordinance changing land from one zoning district to another zoning district or an ordinance approving a site development plan, a council may impose conditions on a property owner which are in addition to existing regulations if the additional conditions have been agreed to in writing by the property owner before the public hearing required under this section or any adjournment of the hearing. The conditions must be reasonable and imposed to satisfy public needs which are directly caused by the requested change. In case, however, of a written protest against a change or repeal which is filed with the city clerk and signed by the owners of twenty percent or more of the area of the lots included in the proposed change or repeal, or by the owners of twenty percent or more of the property which is located within two hundred feet of the exterior boundaries of the property for which the change or repeal is proposed, the change or repeal shall not become effective except by the favorable vote of at least three-fourths of all the members of the council. The protest, if filed, must be filed before or at the public hearing. The provisions of section 414.4 relative to public hearings and official notice apply equally to all changes or amendments.

Cite this article: - Iowa Code Title IX. Local Government [Chs. 331-420] § 414.5. Changes--protest - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard