Skip to main content

Iowa Code Title III. Public Services and Regulation [Chs. 80-122C] § 92.11. Issuance of work permits

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

A work permit, except for migrant laborers, shall be issued only by the labor commissioner upon the application of the parent, guardian, or custodian of the child desiring such permit. The application shall include the following:

1. A statement from the person, firm, or corporation into whose service the child under sixteen years of age is about to enter, promising to give such child employment and describing the industry in which the work will be performed.

2. Evidence of age showing that the child is fourteen years old, or more, which shall consist of one of the following proofs required in the order herein designated:

a. A certified copy of the birth certificate filed according to law with a registrar of vital statistics or other officer charged with the duty of recording births.

b. A passport or a certified copy of a certificate of baptism showing the date and place of birth and the place of baptism of such child.

c. An instruction permit issued under section 321.180B, subsection 1.

d. For cases where the proofs designated in paragraphs “a”, “b”, and “c” are not obtainable, documentation issued by the federal government that is deemed by the commissioner to be sufficient evidence of age, or an affidavit signed by a licensed physician certifying that in the physician's opinion the applicant for the work permit is fourteen years of age or more.

Cite this article: - Iowa Code Title III. Public Services and Regulation [Chs. 80-122C] § 92.11. Issuance of work permits - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard