Hawaii Revised Statutes Division 3. Property; Family § 580-2. Commencement of action; summons

An action for annulment, divorce, or separation is commenced by filing a complaint with the court, which complaint shall be signed and sworn to by the applicant and shall set forth sufficient facts to constitute a claim for relief. Upon the filing of the complaint, the clerk shall forthwith issue a summons and deliver it for service to a person authorized to serve process in civil actions. The summons shall be signed by the clerk, be under the seal of the court, contain the name of the court and the names of the parties, be directed to the defendant, state the name and address of the plaintiff's attorney, if any, otherwise the plaintiff's address, and the time within which the defendant is required to appear and defend which shall not be less than twenty days after the service of the summons and complaint upon the defendant, and shall notify the defendant that in case of the defendant's failure to appear and defend as required, further proceedings may be taken including judgment for the relief demanded in the complaint without further notice to the defendant. Alternative complaints for annulment, divorce, or separation may be set forth or combined in one complaint.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard