(a) It is a violation for any person to violate any of the provisions of this chapter, except as otherwise specified in subsections (c) and (d) and unless the violation is by other law of this State declared to be a felony, misdemeanor, or petty misdemeanor.
(b) Except as provided in subsections (c) and (d), every person who is determined to have violated any provision of this chapter for which another penalty is not provided shall be fined:
(1) Not more than $200 for a first violation thereof;
(2) Not more than $300 for a second violation committed within one year after the date of the first violation; and
(3) Not more than $500 for a third or subsequent violation committed within one year after the date of the first violation.
(c) Every person convicted under or found in violation of section 291C-12 , 291C-12.5 , 291C-12.6 , 291C-13 , 291C-14 , 291C-15 , 291C-16 , 291C-72 , 291C-73 , 291C-95 , 291C-102 , 291C-103 , 291C-104 , or 291C-105 shall be sentenced or fined in accordance with those sections.
(1) Be fined not more than $200 or imprisoned not more than ten days for a first conviction thereof;
(2) Be fined not more than $300 or imprisoned not more than twenty days or both for conviction of a second offense committed within one year after the date of the first offense; and
(3) Be fined not more than $500 or imprisoned not more than six months or both for conviction of a third or subsequent offense committed within one year after the date of the first offense.
(e) The court may assess a sum not to exceed $50 for the cost of issuing a penal summons upon any person who fails to appear at the place within the time specified in the citation issued to the person for any traffic violation.
(f) The court may require a person who violates any of the provisions of this chapter to attend a course of instruction in driver retraining as deemed appropriate by the court, in addition to any other penalties imposed.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.