Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) The department shall encourage the voluntary establishment of public used oil collection centers and recycling programs and provide technical assistance to persons who organize such programs.
(2) All government agencies, and businesses that change motor oil for the public, are encouraged to serve as public used oil collection centers.
(3) A public used oil collection center must:
(a) Notify the department annually that it is accepting used oil from the public; and
(b) Annually report quantities of used oil collected from the public.
(4) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall assist the department in inspecting public used oil collection centers.
(5) No person may recover from the owner or operator of a used oil collection center any costs of response actions, as defined in s. 376.301, resulting from a release of either used oil or a hazardous substance or use the authority of ss. 376.307, 376.3071, and 403.724 against the owner or operator of a used oil collection center if such used oil is:
(a) Not mixed with any hazardous substance by the owner or operator of the used oil collection center;
(b) Not knowingly accepted with any hazardous substances contained therein;
(c) Transported from the used oil collection center by a certified transporter pursuant to s. 403.767;
(d) Stored in a used oil collection center that is in compliance with this section; and
(e) In compliance with s. 114(c) of the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980, as amended.
This subsection applies only to that portion of the public used oil collection center used for the collection of used oil and does not apply if the owner or operator is grossly negligent in the operation of the public used oil collection center. Nothing in this section shall affect or modify in any way the obligations or liability of any person under any other provisions of state or federal law, including common law, for injury or damage resulting from a release of used oil or hazardous substances. For the purpose of this section, the owner or operator of a used oil collection center may presume that a quantity of no more than 5 gallons of used oil accepted from any member of the public is not mixed with a hazardous substance, provided that such owner or operator acts in good faith.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Florida Statutes Title XXIX. Public Health § 403.760. Public used oil collection centers - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/fl/title-xxix-public-health/fl-st-sect-403-760.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?