Skip to main content

Florida Statutes Title XXIX. Public Health § 393.115. Discharge

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(1) Discharge at the age of majority.--

(a) When any residential client reaches his or her 18th birthday, the agency shall give the resident or legal guardian the option to continue residential services or to be discharged from residential services.

(b) If the resident appears to meet the criteria for involuntary admission to residential services, as defined in s. 393.11, the agency shall file a petition to determine the appropriateness of continued residential placement on an involuntary basis.  The agency shall file the petition for involuntary admission in the county in which the client resides.  If the resident was originally involuntarily admitted to residential services pursuant to s. 393.11, then the agency shall file the petition in the court having continuing jurisdiction over the case.

(c) Nothing in this section shall in any way limit or restrict the resident's right to a writ of habeas corpus or the right of the agency to transfer a resident receiving residential care to a program of appropriate services provided by the agency when such program is the appropriate habilitative setting for the resident.

(2) Discharge after criminal or juvenile commitment.--Any person with developmental disabilities committed to the custody of the agency pursuant to the provisions of the applicable criminal or juvenile court law shall be discharged in accordance with the requirements of the applicable criminal or juvenile court law.

Cite this article: - Florida Statutes Title XXIX. Public Health § 393.115. Discharge - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard