Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1)(a) The term “kidnapping” means forcibly, secretly, or by threat confining, abducting, or imprisoning another person against her or his will and without lawful authority, with intent to:
1. Hold for ransom or reward or as a shield or hostage.
2. Commit or facilitate commission of any felony.
3. Inflict bodily harm upon or to terrorize the victim or another person.
4. Interfere with the performance of any governmental or political function.
(b) Confinement of a child under the age of 13 is against her or his will within the meaning of this subsection if such confinement is without the consent of her or his parent or legal guardian.
(2) A person who kidnaps a person is guilty of a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082 , s. 775.083 , or s. 775.084 .
(3)(a) A person who commits the offense of kidnapping upon a child under the age of 13 and who, in the course of committing the offense, commits one or more of the following:
1. Aggravated child abuse, as defined in s. 827.03 ;
2. Sexual battery, as defined in chapter 794, against the child;
4. A violation of former s. 796.03 or s. 796.04 , relating to prostitution, upon the child;
5. Exploitation of the child or allowing the child to be exploited, in violation of s. 450.151 ; or
6. A violation of s. 787.06(3)(g) , relating to human trafficking,
(b) Pursuant to s. 775.021(4) , nothing contained herein shall be construed to prohibit the imposition of separate judgments and sentences for the life felony described in paragraph (a) and for each separate offense enumerated in subparagraphs (a)1.-5.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Florida Statutes Title XLVI. Crimes § 787.01. Kidnapping; kidnapping of child under age 13, aggravating circumstances - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/fl/title-xlvi-crimes/fl-st-sect-787-01.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.