Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
As used in this chapter:
(1) “Affixing agent” means any tobacco products dealer or any other person within or without this State appointed by the Department of Finance as an agent to affix the stamps to be used in paying the excise tax imposed by this chapter. The first vendor who has possession of unstamped tobacco products in this State for sale in this State is deemed an affixing agent.
(2) “Cigar” means any roll for smoking which is not a cigarette and which is made wholly or in part of tobacco or any substitute therefor when the cover of the roll is made chiefly of tobacco.
(3) “Cigarette” means any roll for smoking made wholly or in part of tobacco, irrespective of size or shape, and irrespective of the tobacco being flavored, adulterated, or mixed with any other ingredient, the wrapper or cover of which is made of paper or any other substance or material except tobacco.
(4) “Consumer” means any person who has possession of tobacco products for any purpose other than transportation or sale.
(5) “Department of Finance” or “Department” means the Department of Finance.
(6) “Distributor” means any of the following:
a. Any person engaged in the business of selling tobacco products in this State who brings or causes to be brought into this State from without the State any tobacco products for sale.
b. Any person who makes, manufactures, or fabricates tobacco products in this State for sale in this State.
c. Any person engaged in the business of selling tobacco products without this State who ships or transports tobacco products to retail dealers in this State to be sold by those retail dealers.
(7) “Electronic smoking device” means a nonlighted, noncombustible device that employs a mechanical heating element, battery, or circuit, regardless of shape or size, to produce aerosolized or vaporized nicotine for inhalation into the body of an individual. “Electronic smoking device” includes a device that is manufactured, distributed, marketed, or sold as an e-cigarette, e-cigar, e-pipe, e-hookah, vape pen, or any other similar product with any other product name or descriptor.
(8) “Moist snuff” means any finely cut, ground, or powdered tobacco that is not intended to be smoked, but does not include any finely cut, ground, or powdered tobacco that is intended to be placed in the nasal cavity.
(9) “Package” or “pack” means, as to cigars, the smallest individual container which contains more than 1 cigar in or from which retail sales are normally made or intended to be made, and means, as to other tobacco products, the smallest individual container in or from which retail sales of such products are normally made or intended to be made.
(10) “Place of business” means any place where tobacco products are sold, or where tobacco products are bought or kept for the purpose of sale or consumption, including, so far as applicable, any vessel, airplane, train, or vending machine dispensing tobacco products.
(11) “Retail dealer” means any person who purchases or receives stamped tobacco products from any source whatsoever for the purpose of sale to the ultimate consumer.
(12) “Sale” means in addition to its usual meaning, any sale, transfer, exchange, theft, barter, gift, or offer for sale and distribution, in any manner or by any means whatsoever.
(13) “Secretary of Finance” or “Secretary” means the Secretary of Finance or the Secretary's duly authorized designee; provided, that any such delegation of authority is consistent with Chapter 83 of Title 29.
(14) “Smokeless tobacco products” means all products, other than moist snuff, made primarily of tobacco for individual consumption, not intended to be smoked.
(15) “Tobacco products” means all products made primarily from tobacco for individual consumption, including cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, and vapor products.
(16) “Tobacco product tax stamps” means any adhesive stamps, tax meter impression, or other stamps, labels, or prints authorized by the Department of Finance to evidence the payment of the tax imposed by this chapter.
(17) “Tobacco product vending machine” means any mechanical device from which tobacco products are dispensed for a consideration.
(18) “Unstamped tobacco products” means any pack or package of tobacco products to which the proper amount of genuine Delaware tobacco product tax stamps has not been affixed.
(19) “Use” means the exercise of any right or power over tobacco products including the retention for any length of time for any purpose other than sale or transportation as allowed under the provisions of this chapter.
(20) “Vapor product” means any nicotine liquid solution or other material containing nicotine that is intended to be used with or in an electronic smoking device.
(21) “Vending machine operator” means any person who places 1 or more vending machines, owned, leased or operated by the person, at locations where tobacco products are sold therefrom. The owner or lessee of the premises upon which a vending machine is placed shall not be considered the operator of the machine, if the owner or lessee does not own or lease the machine and if the sole remuneration therefrom is a flat rental fee or a commission, based upon the number or value of tobacco products sold from the machine, or a combination of both.
(22) “Wholesale dealer” means any person who regularly sells tobacco products within this State to others who buy for the purpose of resale.
(23) “Wholesale price” means the price for which a manufacturer sells a tobacco product to a distributor exclusive of any discount, rebate, or other reduction.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Delaware Code Title 30. State Taxes § 5301. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/de/title-30-state-taxes/de-code-sect-30-5301.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.