Delaware Code Title 21. Motor Vehicles § 4201. Duty of driver involved in collisions resulting in property damage or injury

(a) The driver of any vehicle involved in a collision resulting in apparent damage to property shall immediately stop such vehicle at the scene of the collision.  Said stop should be made as close to the scene of the collision as possible without obstructing traffic more than necessary.  The driver shall immediately undertake reasonable efforts to ascertain whether any person involved in the collision was injured or killed.  If such collision resulted in injury or death, the driver shall comply with § 4203 of this title.  If, after reasonably ascertaining that there are no injuries or deaths, and if the damaged vehicle is obstructing traffic, the driver of the vehicle must make every reasonable effort to move the vehicle or have it moved so as not to obstruct the regular flow of traffic more than necessary.  If the damage resulting from such collision is to the property of the driver only, with no damage to the person, property of another, or the environment, the driver need not stay at the scene of the collision but shall immediately make a report of the damage resulting as required by § 4203 of this title.

(b) The driver shall give the driver's name, address and the registration number of a vehicle and exhibit a driver's license or other documentation of driving privileges to the owner of the property or the driver or occupants of any vehicle with which the driver's vehicle collides.

(c) Whoever violates subsection (a) of this section shall be fined no less than $230 nor more than $1,150 or imprisoned not less than 60 days nor more than 6 months.

(d) The Secretary shall revoke the driver's license and/or driving privilege of every person convicted under this section.  Such revocation shall be for a period of 6 months.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard