Delaware Code Title 21. Motor Vehicles § 4198O. Operation of electric personal assistive mobility devices (EPAMD)
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Delaware Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Nothing in this title shall be construed to limit the operation of an EPAMD on sidewalks and bike ways of the State except the following:
(1) A person operating an EPAMD shall not exceed a speed of 8 miles per hour on sidewalks and shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and human-powered devices at all times. An operator must also give an audible signal before overtaking and passing any pedestrian.
(2) An EPAMD may be operated on a public highway only:
a. While making a direct crossing of a highway in a marked or unmarked crosswalk;
b. Where no sidewalk is available; or
c. When so directed by a traffic control device or by a peace officer.
(3) Any person operating an EPAMD upon a highway shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand edge of the highway;
(4) An EPAMD may not be operated at any time on a highway with a speed limit of more than 30 miles per hour except to make a direct crossing of the highway in a marked crosswalk;
(5) A person under 16 years of age shall not operate or ride upon an EPAMD unless that person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet which meets or exceeds the standards set forth in § 4198K of this title;
(6) Any person operating an EPAMD shall obey all traffic control devices and shall exercise due care in the operation of the EPAMD; and
(7) No person shall ride an EPAMD on a highway of this State while under the influence of intoxicating liquor and/or narcotic drugs to a degree which renders such person a hazard.
(b) An EPAMD shall not require a license plate or be registered by the Division of Motor Vehicles.
(c) An EPAMD shall be equipped with front, rear and side reflectors, a system that when employed will enable the operator to bring the device to a controlled stop, and if the EPAMD is operated between 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise, a lamp emitting a white light which, while the EPAMD is in motion, sufficiently illuminates the area in front of the operator; provided that these provisions shall be satisfied if the operator of the EPAMD wears a headlight and reflectors on the operator's person.
(d) No proof of financial responsibility is required for the operation of an EPAMD.
(e)(1) Any person convicted of a violation of paragraphs (a)(1)-(a)(6) or subsection (c) of this section shall receive a warning for the first offense, be fined $10 for the second or subsequent offense, and shall have the EPAMD impounded for up to 30 days for the third or subsequent offense.
(2) Any person convicted of a violation of paragraph (a)(7) of this section shall for the first offense be fined not less than $150 nor more than $1,150 and for subsequent offenses be fined not less than $400 nor more than $1,500 or be imprisoned not less than 10 days nor more than 30 days, or both.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Delaware Code Title 21. Motor Vehicles § 4198O. Operation of electric personal assistive mobility devices (EPAMD) - last updated January 01, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/de/title-21-motor-vehicles/de-code-sect-21-4198o.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?