Delaware Code Title 19. Labor § 706. Continuation of labor contracts despite merger or other business combination

(a) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this Code, no merger, consolidation, sale of assets or business combination shall result in the termination or impairment of the provisions of any labor contract covering persons engaged in employment in this State and negotiated by a labor organization or by a collective bargaining agent or other representative.  Notwithstanding such merger, consolidation, sale of assets or business combination, such labor contract shall continue in effect until its termination date or until otherwise agreed by the parties to such contract or their legal successors.

(b) For purposes of this section:

(1) “Business combination” includes any merger, consolidation, joint venture, lease, sale, dividend exchange, mortgage, pledge, transfer or other disposition (in 1 transaction or a series of transactions) whether with a subsidiary or otherwise;  and

(2) “Employment” shall have the meaning set forth in § 3302(10)(H) and (I) of this title.

(c) In the event that any such employee is denied or fails to receive wages, benefits or wage supplements as a result of a violation of this section, and in addition to injunctive or other relief provided by law, the provisions of Chapter 11 of this title shall be applicable to secure recovery against the merged or consolidated corporation or the resulting corporation, notwithstanding anything contained therein or elsewhere to the contrary.  The remedies provided for herein shall be available against any of the parties to such merger, consolidation, sale of assets or business combination.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard