Delaware Code Title 15. Elections § 8031. Special reports--Third-party advertisements
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Delaware Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Any person other than a candidate committee or political party who makes an expenditure for any third-party advertisement that causes the aggregate amount of expenditures for third-party advertisements made by such person to exceed $500 during an election period shall file a third-party advertisement report with the Commissioner. The report shall be filed under penalty of perjury and shall include the following:
(1) The information required under § 8005(1) of this title with respect to the person making such expenditure;
(2) The full name and mailing address of each person to whom any expenditure has been made by such person during the reporting period in an aggregate amount in excess of $100; the amount, date and purpose of each such expenditure; and the name of, and office sought by, each candidate on whose behalf such expenditure was made;
(3) The full name and mailing address of each person who has made contributions to such person during the election period in an aggregate amount or value in excess of $100; the total of all contributions from such person during the election period, and the amount and date of all contributions from such person during the reporting period;
(4) If a person who made a contribution under paragraph (a)(3) of this section is not an individual, the full name and mailing address of:
a. Any person who, directly or otherwise, owns a legal or equitable interest of 50 percent or greater in such entity; and
b. One responsible party, if the aggregate amount of contributions made by such entity during the election period exceeds $1,200; and
(5) The aggregate amount of all contributions made to the person who made the expenditure.
(b) For purposes of this section, a reporting period shall begin on the day after the previous reporting period under § 8030 of this title or this section, whichever is later. However, if the person making the expenditure hereunder was not previously required to file any reports during the election period under § 8030 of this title or this section, then the reporting period shall begin on the date the first contribution is received or expenditure made by or on behalf of such person in the current election period. A reporting period shall end on the date of the expenditure set forth in subsection (a) of this section.
(c) Any person other than an individual that makes a contribution for which disclosure is required under paragraph (a)(3) of this section shall provide written notification in accordance with § 8012(e) of this title to the person filing the report hereunder. The person filing the report may rely on such notification, and should the notification provided by the representative of the entity be inaccurate or misleading, the person or persons responsible for the notification, and not the person filing the report, shall be liable therefor.
(d) If the expenditure is made more than 30 days before a primary or special election or 60 days before a general election, the report required under this section shall be filed within 48 hours after such expenditure is made. If the expenditure is made 30 days or less before a primary or special election or 60 days or less before an election, such report shall be filed with the Commissioner within 24 hours after such expenditure is made. For purposes of this section, an expenditure shall be deemed to be made on the date it is paid or obligated, whichever is earlier.
(e) The Commissioner shall adopt regulations exempting, to the extent possible, persons from reporting duplicative information under this chapter.
(f) Persons required to file reports under this section shall retain complete records of all expenditures made and contributions received in connection herewith for 3 years following the election for which such report was filed.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Delaware Code Title 15. Elections § 8031. Special reports--Third-party advertisements - last updated January 01, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/de/title-15-elections/de-code-sect-15-8031.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?