Delaware Code Title 11. Crimes and Criminal Procedure § 613. Assault in the first degree; class B felony
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Delaware Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) A person is guilty of assault in the first degree when:
(1) The person intentionally causes serious physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument; or
(2) The person intentionally disfigures another person seriously and permanently, or intentionally destroys, amputates or disables permanently a member or organ of another person's body; or
(3) The person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of death to another person, and thereby causes serious physical injury to another person; or
(4) While engaged in the commission of, or attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit any felony, the person intentionally or recklessly causes serious physical injury to another person; or
(5) The person intentionally causes serious physical injury to a law-enforcement officer, a volunteer firefighter, a full-time firefighter, emergency medical technician, paramedic, fire police officer, fire marshal, public transit operator, a code enforcement constable or a code enforcement officer who is acting in the lawful performance of duty; or
(6) The person intentionally causes serious physical injury to the operator of an ambulance, a rescue squad member, licensed practical nurse, registered nurse, paramedic, licensed medical doctor or any other person while such person is rendering emergency care; or
(7) The person intentionally causes serious physical injury to another person who is 62 years of age or older.
(b) It is no defense, for an offense under paragraph (a)(7) of this section, that the accused did not know the person's age or that the accused reasonably believed the person to be under the age of 62.
(c) Assault in the first degree is a class B felony.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Delaware Code Title 11. Crimes and Criminal Procedure § 613. Assault in the first degree; class B felony - last updated January 01, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/de/title-11-crimes-and-criminal-procedure/de-code-sect-11-613.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?